Local Power Plan Petition
Help us take a huge petition to our Federal Member for Parkes, Mark Coulton to show him that our region wants his support of the Local Power Plan. We want the benefits of the renewable future to remain locally and the #localpowerplan creates the platforms and legislative backing to ensure this happens.
Northwest NSW has fantastic renewables resources, but we run the risk that the majority of the opportunities arising from this industry will be lost to our communities.
The Local Power Plan provides a highly effective and thorough suite of initiatives, that have been road tested by real communities.
Sign this petition and show your support for a renewable future for the Parkes electorate.
Dear Mr Coulton,
Please find attached a petition signed by your constituents seeking you to help make the Local Power Plan a reality.
When the Local Power Bill 2020 is raised in parliament we request that you support it. This Bill will establish ALPA and its three constituent schemes in legislation. Furthemore, we request that you help to provide the $483 million of government funding required to implement The Local Power Plan over 10 years in our regions. The time is right to make that investment and it is our communities that will benefit.
Over the next 30 years, Australia’s entire coal fleet is set to retire and be replaced by renewable energy. In the same period, $1 trillion will be spent in our electricity system.
The vast bulk of our new renewable energy system will be built in regional Australia, in a sunbelt stretching from Esperance to Gippsland to Cape York.
Without proper planning, everyday communities in regional Australia, like Northwest NSW, will miss out on the benefits of this boom.
In that spirit, we call on you to make the Local Power Plan a reality. Pass the Australian Local Power Bill 2020. And fund the Local Power Plan. #localpowerplan
Community energy is a key way to ensure everyday people can benefit from renewables.
The Local Power Plan sets out five key opportunities to accelerate community energy in Australia
1. Develop a strategic capital investment program to provide long-term certainty for community energy projects and leverage private investment;
2. Establish local power hubs in communities across regional Australia to provide technical expertise and support development of community energy projects;
3. Establish a centralised agency to enable better peer-to-peer capacity-building, develop shared resources and provide technical support across communities;
4. Introduce a public underwriting scheme for mid-scale community energy projects to overcome a failure of the market to fully price their technical and social benefits;
5. Enable communities to co-invest in large-scale renewable projects by requiring developers to offer co-investment opportunities to locals.
Northwest NSW has fantastic renewables resources, but we run the risk that the majority of the opportunities arising from this industry will be lost to community. The Local Power Plan provides a highly effective and thorough range of initiatives, that have been road tested by real communities. We implore you to support this initiative.
People of the Parkes electorate